Do you want to add some extra space to your home? Extensions and conversions are both great options, each with their own pros and cons. Depending on what you need will depend on which option you go for, so it is important to do your research beforehand. To get you started, we have made a handy guide discussing extensions and conversions.
A home extension means adding extra space to your property. For example, extending your kitchen outwards by a few meters, but also decreasing the space in your garden. Because extensions require extra space initially, they are only suitable for homes with gardens or surrounding land. The size of your extension depends on the space you have available since you can add fully functioning rooms if you have enough land.
- It adds space to your home
- Improves functionality
- Improves the value of your home
- Planning permission may be required
- You need to have space availble to extend onto
- Tends to be the more expensive option
- Can take longer
If you don't have space around your home, conversions are another option. You can convert spaces you rarely use into functional rooms, helping your home feel more comfortable and spacious. For example, you can convert your garage into another bedroom or living space if you rarely use it. Your loft could be converted into a spare bedroom. If you have a storeroom near your kitchen you could use it to extend the space you already have.
- Doesn't need any external space
- Optimizes space you already have
- No need for planning permission
- Usually will be the cheaper option
- Usually takes up less time
- Won't change the appearance of your property
- May not add value to your home
- The space you can add is limited
Extensions and conversions both add space to your home, helping it to feel more comfortable for you and your family. The main difference between the two is that extensions take up external space that not every home has. However, conversions can be just as good, as well as being cheaper!
Need a home extension or conversion in Greater Manchester?